If Your child has G6PD Deficiency....
There are certain precautions that must be taken for the rest of his life:
- At every visit, tell the doctor or dentist that your child has G6PD deficiency
- Don't use mothballs on clothes and bedding
- Don't give your child any traditional medicines such as certain herbs and beans such as san zi zi, fava beans (bian dou or kacang parang) and chuan lian (banned in Singapore)
- Remind the bdoctor that your child has G6PD deficiency if any of certain western medicines are prescribed for him
- Don't buy any medicines yourself from a pharmacy for your child without consulting a doctor
Antipyretics (for treating fever):
Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid)
Antibiotics (for treating infection):
Antimalarials (for preventing malaria):
- Chemicals in mothballs, certain medicines, herbs and beans make the red blood cells break down in people with G6PD deficiency.
- Breastfeeding mothers should not take any of the above too as the chemicals can reach the baby through breast milk.
Health Promotion Board, Singapore.